Initiate a request by clicking on the “Initiate Request” icon to the right.
Welcome to Berkeley Lab!
A New Hire Orientation is provided to all new Berkeley Lab employees, and those returning after a period of time away from the Lab. We strive to create a welcoming experience and provide valuable and useful information needed for the first week on the job. Attendees receive a handout with guided information on important follow up activities and view a presentation conducted by one of our HR Shared Services team members. They will also receive a follow up email from us with instructions and reminders of important activities to complete, and a link to the materials presented in the New Hire Orientation session. In addition, we facilitate completion of tax documents and the required I-9 Employment Verification/E-Verify process.
New Hire Orientation
The New Hire Orientation presentation contains a general overview of Berkeley Lab along with a comprehensive range of important information. The following table highlights the various topics and information covered. More detailed information for some of these items is provided further below.
|New Hire Orientation Topic Area||Covered Information|
|Introductions||Name, Division, Position, Research area / projects|
|Berkeley Lab Overview||History, Research, Awards|
|Website||A – Z Index, Directory, TABL, Staff Resources, Careers Page|
|Access to Systems||Berkeley Lab Identity (LDAP), IT Help Desk, IT Services|
|LETS (Time Entry) and Payroll||LETS, Payroll Schedule|
|Holiday Schedule||Holidays, Floating Holidays, Shutdown|
|Employee Self Service||Self-Identification, Name/Address Changes, Paycheck History, Direct Deposit, Training Enrollment|
|Training Requirements||GERT, WPC, Intro to EHS, New Employee Briefing|
|Safety||Safety Culture, Division Contacts, Terrain, UCPD, Bike Safety|
|Emergency Management||Emergency Response Guide, Emergency Numbers, Text Alerts|
|Lab Community Stewardship||Signage, Terrain/Wildlife, UCB Police, Bike Safety, Sustainability, Smoking Policy|
|Amenities and Extras||Employee Activities, Discounts, Cafeteria, Guest House|
|Transportation||Commute Options, Shuttle Bus Routes, Lab Map|
|Benefits Enrollment Info||PIE, Enrollment Instructions, Family Care Benefits|
Additional detail on the New Hire Orientation topic areas referenced in the above table:
- Berkeley Lab Identity and Accounts: Berkeley Lab Identity and Windows Active Directory accounts are established automatically for every new hire and managed by the HR Shared Services team. These do not need to be ordered by hiring managed or division administrators. Employees are provided with instructions to activate and/or access their Berkeley Lab Identity, which they will utilize to to visit Berkeley Lab employee-restricted websites. Access instructions include Google accounts and apps.
- Employee Self Service: To participate in Berkeley Lab’s commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive work community, employees are encouraged to update their Self-Identification (for gender, ethnicity, veteran, and disabilities). Employees can also use this portal to establish direct deposit, assign emergency contacts, view their payroll advice statements and update their vehicle information.
- Berkeley Lab Website: We provide an overview of navigating the website including the A-Z Index, searching for topics, frequently used sites, and updating and using the Directory. This includes instructions for updating their Directory listing within the first day to ensure their initial paycheck is directed to the correct mailstop, and their new colleagues can reach them.
- Payroll: New hires receive an overview of the payroll process, including how to enter time into LETS, how to communicate with their timekeeper, Lab holidays including the annual winter shutdown in December, payroll deadlines and setting up direct deposit.
- Training Requirements: We inform new hires of critical and required training including the General Employee Radiological Training (GERT) requirement, an overview of the WPC (Work Planning & Controls) process, communicating with managers to review safety requirements and training, etc. It is also expected that all new employees review the New Employee Briefing within their first 30 days of employment, which contains more detailed information regarding employee expectations, policies and services.
- Safety: The Berkeley Lab safety culture and commitment is emphasized, including emergency management, safety contacts, tips on navigating Berkeley Lab’s environment safely, and enlisting in emergency text alerts.
- Community Stewardship: Addresses tips on interacting with the Lab’s wildlife and terrain, recycling and sustainability, car charging and an introduction of the Lab’s smoking policy. Also introduces the Lab’s commitment to cultural diversity, employee activities and events.
- Transportation: We provide an overview of the shuttle bus system, how to use Nextbus, an overview of the Lab’s building numbering system and signage. Additionally, we provide an overview of carpooling options and public transportation, and how to access WageWorks and other commuter programs.
- Benefits and Amenities: An overview of benefits is provided, and an introduction to amenities such as TicketsatWork, Cal event and phone service discounts. Includes an overview of the Lab’s My Family site, including services offered such as backup childcare, elder care, valuable resources and support services, housing services, recreation, sports and health, LGBTQ, nursing mother facilities…and even a section for pets!
Monthly Foreign National Orientation
In addition to the New Hire Orientation provided to all hires on their first day, the HR Shared Service visa services team hosts monthly orientations for our new foreign national employees who are on a work visa. These sessions provide additional information relevant to foreign nationals including an overview of visa types and documents, travel considerations, information regarding dependents as well as safety, culture, and resources. More information can be found on the Visa Services page.
Start Day Planning and Logistics
New employees will receive detailed instructions for attending new hire orientation via email within a week of their start date. They will be given specific items to bring, which could include a work permit for minor hires, supporting documentation for visas, or employment verification documentation. This email also serves as their Site Access entry approval for their first day, so no additional Visitor Guest Pass is required. They will just need to present a copy of the email with a photo ID. If the new hire does not receive this information, they can check their task list on the New Hire Portal (it will be listed as the last task), or contact the HR Shared Services team.
Start appointments are scheduled in Building 65B for 8:30 am and 10:00 am every day, although we do add additional appointment slots on higher volume hire days and as needed (such as the first business day of each month, peak summer student hiring, etc). New Hire Orientations typically run 45 minutes to one hour followed by badging activity. New employees are given a handout with their name and ID/Badge Number, their benefit coverage level, pay frequency and instructions for who they should report to after the New Hire Orientation. Maps and instructions for navigating the shuttle bus system are provided if needed.
After the New Hire Orientation, the HR Shared Services team will verify completion of the General Employee Radiological Training (GERT) requirement, and then escort the new employee next door to the Badge Office in Building 65A to obtain their ID Badge and parking permit if applicable.
Accommodations and Special Handling
Building 65B is wheelchair accessible, and the presentation is available as a handout for hearing impaired; other accommodations are available upon the request of the new employee. We have a documented special handling protocol available for remote hires and senior management/faculty placements to assist with these unique onboarding requirements.
For assistance, feedback or questions email us or call 510-486-4772. One of our HR representatives will respond to your question within one business day.